Blog post provided by Suda Nathan, founder of Pickld
Roasted Tomato & Eggplant Soup Recipe
- 5 ripe plum sized tomatoes, cored & halved
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 red onion, sliced into 6 wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, skins removed
- 1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoons of PICKLD Spicy Coriander & Cumin Soup Seasoning per serve
- 3 – 4 cups water
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200° C
2. Coat the tomatoes, eggplant, onion, garlic cloves and chickpeas in the olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread onto two baking paper lined trays and bake for 30 – 35 minutes, tossing the ingredients midway through.
3. Once cooked, puree the baked ingredients in a blender with the tin of diced tomatoes and enough of the water to blend the soup to a smooth consistency (this may need to be done in two batches).
4. Transfer the mix to a large saucepan and bring the soup to the boil.Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Recommendation: Stir 2-3 teaspoons of PICKLD Spicy Coriander & Cumin Soup Seasoning through each serve of soup.
“My name is Suda Nathan short for Sudharsan Raghunathan. I come from a strong lineage of plant-based food enthusiasts (at least 9 generations) who have continued to experiment with flavour combinations that bring food to life. During my childhood, I used to spend a lot of time with my mum and grandma in the kitchen; both women instilling in me a passion for wholesome plant food that is prepared using the freshest ingredients. This passion has never wavered and I continue to see my kitchen as my creative zen zone. I love innovating with food and creating recipes that add a modern twist to traditional food combinations.
With this passion always by my side, and with generations of plant-based cooking knowledge, led me to create Pickld. Through my creation of unique seasoning blends and recipes, I share with you my family’s historic love of plant-based food. This love is not solely based on the food’s wellbeing and healing properties but on its tastes, smells, and textures; therefore, it is important to me that I preserve the authenticity of the flavours and the foods through my preparation process – everything is home-made so there is no machinery or factory involved in the creation of Pickld seasoning blends. I personally hand-pick the ingredients that combine to give vegetables the flavours they deserve.
Then it comes to you. My mission is to help people reduce their dependency on meat as the key source of protein in their diets and look to include a variety of veggies and other plant-based foods in their meals. Pickld ready to use plant-based seasonings contains activated lentils and superfoods (chia seeds, moringa, and turmeric), so they not only improve the flavour of vegetables, but also help you to create nutritious and easy to cook plant food for you and your loved ones.” – Suda Nathan, Founder
Pickld is available for purchase at InnerOrigin