Blog post by d.e.w Beauty Foods
All 3 of d.e.w Beauty superfood powder blends were initially hand blended in our kitchen to improve skin, hair and nails but that’s not all they do… all 3 blends are jam packed with essential nutrients that keep your body healthy and your immune system primed.
Should the onset of chilly weather have you reaching for the tissue box however there are a few home remedies we swear by..
1. Return to Nature’s pantry
Eating your way to good health is a yummy way to fight those fluey feelings.
- Garlic, turmeric and ginger are all delicious boosts for your immune system and help flush out toxins.
- We all know Vitamin C likes kicking a cold’s backside so be sure to increase your intake of citruses, tomatoes, capsicum and broccoli.
- And good quality chicken soup isn’t just for the soul it works wonders on the lungs to help reduce coughing.
A teaspoon of d.ew Beauty Foods’ Turmeric & Ginger blend is the perfect addition to all of these. It’s great in a stir-fry with garlic, gives your chicken soup some extra zing, is yummy on fried tomatoes and, surprisingly, is the most delicious addition to a glass of OJ, yes really! And did we happen to mention how jam-packed it is with flu-fighting goodies? If you want to make a meal of its beautiful benefits try our Turmeric & Ginger Poached Fish and Oven Roasted Turmeric & Ginger Veggies. Seriously yum.
2. Increase your fluids
Staying hydrated is important every day but especially when you’re sick and blowing your nose too much. Obviously, there’s the usual advice to drink plenty of water but when you’ve got the chills hot liquids are like a big warm hug.
- Add some good old apple cider vinegar to a cup of hot water or if you prefer to pop a shot of it. This will help alkalise your body and boost your immune system, both which will help to kill off any nasty bacteria.
- And for a tastier option add a teaspoon of d.e.w Beauty Foods Turmeric & Ginger blend to a cup of hot water and a squeeze of lemon juice. Then for their antiviral bug-busting benefits add some honey and a teaspoon of coconut oil – mmmmm yum!
3. Chill your chills away
Don’t try to carry on as usual, timeout is the perfect remedy when you’re suffering a cold.
- A hot bath not only warms your soul but it actually helps draw out impurities and clear the chest. Adding a little essential oil can help too. Lavender helps you to relax and brings on sleep. Frankincense is a great decongestant and helps reduce any anxiety about missing work or other important events. And eucalyptus helps relieve stuffy noses as well as those nasty aches and pains. Just a few drops are enough to help.
- Sleep is the time when our bodies can truly heal, so catch up on some Zzzz’s and when you’re done cuddle up under a blanket and watch some movies or binge on some eps of your fave show.
- To get even more cold-kicking benefits while you’re chilling pop on a Turmeric & Ginger face mask. Simply mix 1/2 teaspoon with some yoghurt or honey and lay back and let the goodness be absorbed instantly into your skin, and your system, for an accelerated healing boost.
Remember it’s totally fine to be sick. We usually pack so much into our hectic lives that it’s OK to stop, sleep and slow down. Give your body time to fight it off so you’re back to your fabulous fit self in no time.