Where do these toxins come from?
Every day in Australia, millions of people use shampoo, soap, face wash, toothpaste, dishwashing liquid and detergent in their daily routine. All of these products contain an array of chemicals that are washed down the drain and never thought about again. These chemicals are ending up in our water supply and in our marine life. If you add in the heavy metals that leech into the water from corrosive pipes, pesticide wash off from farming, flame retardants and back wash from factories; we have a ourselves a cocktail concoction of chemicals in our water supply. We use this water to wash ourselves, to wash our food, plates and cutlery and we also drink this water. We are being exposed to toxins from all angles. In the air we breathe, the food we eat, the products we clean with and the clothing we wear.
A Greenpeace study called Toxic Threads found that 63% of all clothing items tested contained nonylphenol ethoxylates (NPEs), with some products contain phthalates, amines, and other toxic chemicals. These are used in the dying, printing and the finishing stages of creating the clothing that we wear. These toxic chemicals can enter water supplies during the manufacturing process and when the clothes are washed after purchasing. The chemicals can then break down and accumulate in our marine life, and may be present in the fish we eat.
This constant exposure to chemicals places a heavy burden on our livers and supporting organs, which have the great responsibility of filtering out these chemicals. Over time, this constant load of toxins can lead to inflammation, pain, cell damage and can affect overall organ function. Additionally, the chemicals can act as endocrine disruptors, mimicking the natural hormones in the body and leading to hormonal imbalance.
What can you do about it?
- Support the companies that are committed to creating chemical-free products and that are conscious of their environmental footprint. Doing this will not only limit your personal exposure to chemicals through the skin, but will decrease the amount that are ending up in our water supply.
- Only drink filtered water or rain water. A water filter will remove the chemicals and heavy metals from your water.
- Offer support to your liver so it can efficiently remove these toxins from your body. Adopt a clean diet, filled with fresh fruit and vegetables, lean protein and healthy fats. Drink raw vegetables juices regularly and consider taking a liver tonic containing B vitamins, selenium, vitamin C and St Mary’s thistle. These nutrients are required for phase two liver detoxification and help to support the liver in efficiently removing toxins. St Mary’s thistle, the ancient liver herb helps to protect the liver against damage and aid in the repair of liver cells. Livatone Plus contains therapeutic doses of these nutrients and more than 36,000mg of St Mary’s thistle in a daily dose, to provide your liver with the support it needs.
- You may also consider doing a comprehensive detox program to support your liver, kidneys and digestive system in removing stored toxins, waste products, heavy metals and excess fat cells. It is important to note that not all detox programs on the market will give you the same benefit. You may have heard of programs that encourage you to drink nothing but lemon juice and syrup for a week, those that require a prolonged juice fast, laxative use or a strict calorie controlled diet. These types programs can put a lot of strain on the body and don’t actually support the detoxification pathways. These types of programs appear to ‘work’ because people achieve weight loss, however the underlying problem of toxin build up remains.
- Trio Clean and Lean Detox Program is a comprehensive and unique program that was created to support the detoxification pathways, reduce acidity and inflammation in the body, repair the gut lining and to boost nutrient intake and energy production. This program does not restrict food intake, it promotes a whole food diet alongside of three therapeutic sachets daily, for a deeper level of cleansing. The sachets contain antioxidants, superfoods, protein, probiotics, alkalising minerals, fibre and healing amino acids to provide overall support to you and your detoxification pathways.
Take care of your liver so it can take care of you!
– Blog post provided by Cabot Health